Friday, September 2, 2011

Visual Latin



Homeschooling your children is never easy. I have luckily managed to partner up with a great company.  Timberdoodle is a one stop chop for all your homeschooling needs. When I was deciding what foreign languages my children were going to learn I had a bit of a hard time. They are already bilingual, speaking English and Spanish. So what language do I add? I decided I would add in Latin for a couple of reasons. First it would be an easy language for them to learn. They already know Spanish and it's roots are in Latin. Secondly I can remember hearing Mass said in Latin and I will tell you there is nothing more beautiful. Lastly I think that since the majority of words in all languages are derived from Latin roots it was important for my children to know it.Timberdoodle wonderful enough to send me just the product I needed to review and teach my children at the same time.





TESTING Visual Latin

Visual Latin Lessons 1-10 comes one of two ways. You can watch it online or order a DVD. We got the DVD because I thought it would make things a little easier if they could go back at their own pace. you get a lot with the DVD. You get all 10 lessons:
1. Being Verbs Basics | To Be and Not to Be
2. Being Verbs Basics | Predicate Nominatives and Adjectives
3. Gender | Boy Words and Girl Words
4. Singular and Plural | E Pluribus Unum
5. Declensions | Meet the Cases
6. Adjectives Learn to Agree with Nouns
7. The Case Files | Nominative and Genitive
8. Counting to 10 in Latin
9. Active Verb Basics | Indicative Mood
10. The Case Files | Accusative

However one of the best things I enjoyed was that you didn't have to jump right in with Lesson 1. you are given 4 Introductory Lessons: 1.Why Study Latin? 2. Latin then and Now 3. How to Learn a Language and 4. Stuff You Should Know About Latin. These lessons ease you into Latin. If you have never studied a foreign language, especially one like Latin, these Introductory Lessons are super helpful.


Click to Enlarge

You also receive 10 worksheets in PDFs on the DVD, If you can't get them to pull up on your DVD there is a link to the website where they can be downloaded. These worksheets can be printed out so that your children can do them. Each one corresponds with the each lesson. They begin with a brief explanation of the words you are working with.



Click to Enlarge



In lesson 4, which is the examples shown, they move onto changing works to singular and plural. They don't have to know what the meaning of the word is just how to change it. I liked that my children didn't have to know the meaning of the word. Sometimes when learning a new language you concentrate on what the meaning of a word is you don't learn how to use it as well as you should.




Click to Enlarge
 Never worry! All of the answers are included for you, the teacher. This way you can grade your children properly. You do not have to already know Latin to teach it to your children using Visual Latin. You will however pick it up as your children learn.
Click to Enlarge


All of the worksheets were easy to follow and complete. I did not print the answer keys, to prevent cheating. In fact I save all answer keys in a password protected file. You can print all of the worksheets at once or just print the lesson you need as you go.



Watching the DVD was simple and easy. In each lesson the teacher talks a little about the words and/usage you will be learning and then goes on to explain. Here in Lesson One the kids are learning ES and SUM which is To Be and in English. This was a fairly easy lesson for them as es is used frequently in Spanish. So they passed it with flying colors.

I was very impressed with the teacher as well. He did a great job of presenting the information in a way that was easy to understand. He repeated things that needed to be repeated without drilling it. You can see for yourself how great the teacher is by watching the video below.





PROS of Visual Latin
  • Easy to use and understand
  • My children enjoyed learning Latin
  • Everything you need comes on one DVD 
CONS of Visual Latin 
  • I honestly couldn't anything wrong with this DVD or series. My children are learning a language they seem to enjoy. What could be better?
SHOP Timberdoodle

Timberdoodle has so much more than just Visual Latin. They  have Homeschool supplies or homeschool curriculum you could possibly need for children in all age ranges.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

     
    Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes