Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Defeat Fear Forever by: Christina Li

I went into reading this book expecting a clinical explanation as how to overcome fear and depression. As someone who has recently began having depressive episodes I thought this would be a great way to learn to handle those moments. Defeat Fear Forever however is not a clinical sort of book but more a Christian themed book.

Ms. Li does quote Bible verses which honestly didn't bother me, other than the multiple translations. For me I have already have so much translation in my life (Spanish to English) that I tend to shy away from more. I enjoyed her overall concept of fear. Such as she describes the difference between positive fear (fear of the Lord) and negative fear (which is what I suffer.)Did I overcome my fear from reading this book? No, but I have better understanding, without all the medical jargon.

There are a few instances where religious views can come into play while reading Defeat Fear Forever. some of my beliefs are different. As you all know I am a roman Catholic, so sometimes other beliefs are foreign to me in ways. Not that I am no open to them. One such way is Ms. Li's view of speaking in tongues. She quotes in her book (chapter 6):

“The obvious first thing to do is repent of your sins (say you’re sorry for all the bad things you’ve done), get baptized in Jesus’ name, and receive the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues, Acts 2:38″

As a Catholic I regularly confess my sins (all the bad things including mentally calling my husband stupid), I was baptized at birth, however I don't speak tongues. I get the impression that Ms. Li feels tongues are a requirement for salvation while I feel differently. I think what it comes down to is we have different interpretations of the Bible and that's okay.  I openly admit that I don't understand speaking in tongues.

My advice would be to read the book and take it with a grain of salt. Ms. Li has put her beliefs and feelings out there in a way she hopes will help people. Doesn't make her right or wrong. I simply took what I needed from the book and I think that is the best way to utilize any sort of self-help book. Go into with an open mind and maybe you will come out a little smarter and who knows maybe you'll learn what you need. I did.

Rita's Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes