Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Witch Woman by: Jeanette Baker

From back cover;


In two different centuries, four hundred years apart, the lives of Abigail March and her daughter, Maggie, play out along parallel lines, both women blessed and cursed by a selective birthright and marked with a startling mutation, heterochromia iridium, one brown eye, the other blue.

In 1692 Abigail and three-year-old Maggie, are accused of witchcraft. Most women who found themselves facing the hangman’s noose during this shameful time are innocent. Abigail is not. Summoning her powers, she sends her child through a time portal into twentieth century Salem.

Maggie grows to maturity knowing nothing of her birthright until her foster mother’s death bed confession. Using her clairvoyant abilities and the medium of an ancient spinning wheel, she resurrects her past through a series of troubling dreams.
 

Meanwhile Abigail locates the time portal and slips through, changing her identity, hoping to find her child and bring her home through the narrowing portal.

Unknown to both women are the dangers of the old world’s dark forces, a swiftly narrowing time portal, and a missing child who desperately needs Maggie’s “sight” a sight that continues to blur as her ties to old Salem strengthen.



This is another one of those rare books that I found myself enjoying. I was always told as I am sure most of you were to never judge a book by it's cover or at least not by the blurb you get in the PR release. I typically only agree to review books that peak my interest. I have to be choosy because I more than 100 book review requests a day. I simply cannot read that many books a month although I give it a good try. When I first started reading  I thought why did I agree to read a book about witches? Must have been one of those lost my mind moments. 


As I read more I realized this would be a book I would read many times before finally putting it on the shelf so to speak. I am that way. If I like a book who knows how many times i will read it.  Witch Woman is one of those dramatic books that pulls at the heart strings. While witches are a large part of the story they are a mere backdrop to the struggle these women have. They struggle of a mother trying to do what is best for her daughter. The struggle of a woman wanting to help a missing child. Ms. Baker has become one of new favorite authors. Her words flow off the page and you can see the story unfold in your mind's eye.


Rita's Rating;




No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes